Friday, 16 October 2009

I should have known better

I should have rechecked the pattern when I suspected it was taking me longer to finish a row than it had when I started. By the time I reached the armholes I had 65 extra stitches on my needles, the pattern had an error. It was quite obvious when I checked it, one row increased the stitches in the pattern but didn't decrease them to keep the same loop count.

I've now bought a new pattern and this is the yarn I'm knitting it in. Talking of knitting when I had my great clear out to make room for my new acquisition I found this.
Anyone remember the KTel Knitter? More importantly has anyone used one? I didn't have any instructions for the needles? (there were two of them) so I googled it. It appears to be something of a white elephant and I couldn't fine anyone that liked it. I've given the other needle to a friend (will she remain one I ask myself) and we've challenged each other to do something with it. Watch this space.

The postman has been busy again. This is my 'at the castle gate' house from Deborah. I really love the faded photo of the nuns (think they are nuns) with the view through the ruined castle wall. My house for Mariel has gone missing, I put it somewhere safe when my sewing cubbyhole was being revamped and I can't find it now. Guess I'll have to restart it.


October's swap theme for the private group is 'goldwork'. My scanner has decided not to play with me so I've had to photograph the cards and the colours are a bit off. This is Christine's and she's used a variety of synthetic background fabrics with sequine waste, sequines, couched threads and mesh all held down with embroidery.

Jennifer's is a fun card. She's created a pocket and gold coins some are stitched onto the velvet background and others are held with threads and fall into the pocket.
Mine are half made and should be in the post before the end of next week.

I made this diary cover for my partner in the advent swap but just as I was about to wrap it up I noticed a tiny nick in the fabric on the back. Never mind I have a nice diary cover now.

Some time ago a friend gave me a piece of shrink fabric that when steam heated bubbles and gives a textured surface. I finally got round to making a small bag with it. I had bought the dual feed patchwork foot for the 830 and wanted to try it out and thought this was an ideal opportunity. I layered the shrink fabric, wadding and the top fabric and quilted a diagonal mesh with lines approximately one inch apart. The dual feed foot worked a treat and there was no drag, especially as I thought the shrink fabric might slide. When I'd done all the quilting I heated the shrink fabric from the back using a hot steam iron and making sure I didn't actually touch the shrink fabric. I was really pleased with the puffy quilting when it was finished. I've added handles and a lining but it needs something dangle or flowery, that's the next step.
I'm meeting my friend for lunch on Tuesday and hope to give her the bag for her daughter who raises funds for charity.
I'm going to the Crafts for Christmas fair in Newcastle tomorrow and hope to meet up with friends there. Now I'm off to start my new sweater pattern.






3 comments:

Julie said...

Beautiful diary cover and bag, Annette.

McIrish Annie said...

Congrats on your new machine! Can't wait to see the fun things you will do with it. and that little bag is fabulous!

Deborah said...

Hi
Just so you know the figures are knights/crusaders, or at least they were when I found them.