Tuesday 16 March 2010

I haven't left town just been decorating.....

I'm feeling quite guilty because I've not been blogging as much as I feel I should.  Problem is I don't have a lot to show you and there is only so much 'dear diary stuff' that can be tolerated.   The reason for the quiet time is that we've been decorating.   Well at least we've sat around a lot talking about decorating.   Once Sy moved out, his room was to become my workroom but you know what its like as soon as you have an empty room you start to notice the scratches, scrapes, sun bleaching, marks on the carpet etc and you simply have to do something about it.  But before you get around to doing something the room fills up with junk!!!   We decided to decorate the whole house, start with our bedroom and steadily work our way downstairs and out through the front door.

First thing we did was buy ourselves one of those Dulux Paint Pots.  Our reasoning was that as neither of us can bend as easily as we used to it would be a great help and it is, to a point.   It's wonderful for large areas, not a lot of use in small areas and the paint whilst expensive goes a very long way.   For example we bought a5 litre pack (5 litres is the smallest unit they make to go into the posts) and painted our bedroom walls.  After two coats we'd used all of an inch of paint......  Unless we want to paint the whole house Raspberry what do we do with the other 9 inches of paint left in the pot?   Ours is a small house so one pot of white will do all the ceilings for the next three years.  Get the picture..

Next problem is I can't decided whether to leave my 830 downstairs and take my Horn cabinet upstairs or visa versa.   I also want a new shelving put in to hold my stash.   Think this decorating might go on until 2012.

I have done some work ,though not a lot.   I wanted to do a portrain of my Mum for my March contemporary quilt journal page.  Her birthday month was March so I thought it appropriate month to do one.   I used a photo I'd taken on her 93rd birthday last year and alterned it in photoshop then cut out layers of colour to built up the quilt.  This is it.
Now I have a problem with it - how on earth am I going to quilt it?   I've had it up on my wall staring at it but the answer hasn't arrived yet.   I know I want to quilt the lines in her face to give it more contour but I'm not sure I've picked the right photo to do it.   Everyone who has seen it on my wall recognises it immediately as Mum and want to touch it but so far I haven't had the nerve to put needle and thread into it.  

Like everywhere else in the country our daffodils are late this year but my crocus bloomed with the sun we've had this week.
Their bright little faces smile at me from ny kitchen window box.  I believe Spring may have arrived.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Your portrait of your Mum is excellent, but I can't begin to think how to quilt it either, not much help I'm afraid. Have you looked at Laura Kemshall's work? She has done some work with portraits and quilting.

Your crocus look beautiful, roll on spring!