Tuesday 19 March 2013

Well I'm in trouble again

I opened my mouth without thinking and I'm living to regret it.  I told my dh I was going upstairs to play with my pussy!!!   This is the pussy I was playing with...... (no not what you thought - naughty)


It all started when I bought this book

 
I was keen to try out Rose Hughes method of freezer paper applique.   I've tried several methods of this sort and thought hers looked fun.
 
Her method differs only in the way you sew the pieces together.   It starts the same as other methods
 

 
copying the pattern onto freezer paper, ironing it onto fabric, this method though you iron it onto the right side of the fabric and overlap the seams.   Sew down the pattern pieces and trim back.   The main advantage of this method over fused applique is the handle of the fabric when finished and the fact that you aren't sewing through adhesive.

I decided to use one of the patterns in Rose's book as I thought she had already done all the hard work of sorting out which piece to sew first and in which order to put them together.  I always think this is the hard part so well done Rose.   I really enjoyed the process at first as the pieces were quite large.  Then we got onto the smaller more complex pieces and I had to redo several as my trimming back got a bit enthusiastic and I sniped threads more times than I like.   But I've now got my pussy all tucked up tight and ready to make into a sandwich and quilt.  Not sure yet whether I'll leave it as it is or put borders round it and make it larger.



2 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

I am not a fan of applique and have usually resorted to the fused applique when necessary but this looks interesting. I agree with you about the fused adhesive though I have used mistyfuse which is super light and barely detectable as far as the hand of the fabricc is concerned.

fyi, you dear, are the naughty one. almost sent my coffee through my nose this am

Lyndsey said...

I love appliqué and have tried this method. Like you I got a bit enthusiastic with the trimming but once I got my head round it I found the method works well. Great cat appliqué.