Sunday 11 January 2015

Happy Creative New Year

I know its well past New Year but I've only just got my muse back in place.   For the last few weeks I've kept going into my workroom, picking stuff up, putting it back, thinking yep I'll do that then changing my mind again when the urge left me.  You know the feeling.  Well yesterday I decided I'd have a bit of a spring clean and see if anything gave me the urge to create.  Nope just ended up with an ultra clean sewing room.  I told myself to get off my butt and do something so I made a list of all the things I'd like to do, projects I wanted to complete, new techniques I wanted to try out.  I wanted to do more Gelli plate printing and would start with that.

Then I started looking for where I'd stacked my Gelli plates.  I knew I 'd put them somewhere safe over the festive period but could I find them, course I couldn't.  Now in my workroom I have an old microwave which I put there with the intention of dyeing fabric.  It gets used as a cupboard. I thought I might have put them in there.   What did I find in the cupboard but 40 odd scrap blocks. So  I thought why not sew them together while I continue to look for my Gelli plates.



So that's what I did.  I haven't bothered with sashing.  I did think about it then decided to go with the flow while I still had some flow.  After I'd sewn the 'hoard' together I made a start on depleting my stash of left over bits and bobs.  My method of sewing them together was simple, I strip pieced them then strip pieces the bits.  At times I had to trip them back to a reasonable shape, if you use odd shaped pieces such as triangles you can get some weird and wonderful blocks.


Many of these pieces are from Christmas projects.  I will continue sewing my scraps together then cut them into 6.5" blocks and add them onto the 'hoard' piece.   It's not much but at least its got me going again. 

I've since found my Gelli plates and plan to make more prints and turn them into journals.  I have an idea to make mug rugs from maps,  some fabric scrap maps and Julie Mackiner has a mug bag on her Facebook page that I want to make. 

So here's wishing you all a happy, healthy, creative 2015.

1 comment:

Lyndsey said...

I love those bright cheerful blocks. Perfect for a new year.