Sunday 9 September 2007

Quilts and things


Last night I picked up the latest copy of Patchwork & Quilting and in the small adds noticed that the National Quilt show was on in Harrogate. So guess where I went today? The photos at the top were for me the most memorable out of a host of wonderful quilts. Memorable, well mainly because my father, my husband and my husband's father, grandfather and greatgrandfather all have worked in the steel industry. My dh's male relatives all worked in the environment depicted in this quilt. I was just enthusing about it to my mother when a voice behind me asked if I really liked it and introduced himself as the quilter. I turned to see an elderly man leaning on a stick. He told me he'd worked for years in the steel mills and had enjoyed making this quilt.

The quilt is in two layers, the first reflects the hot flames and bright sparks of the hot steel being poured from the overhead crane on the gantry. The second is the layered and appliqued crane on a sheer fabric. It's wonderfully executed and for me personally the star of the show.

I came back armed with lots of fabric goodies not to mention half a dozen books. We took my mum with us (dh) and the staff were really helpful and found us a wheelchair for her. I'm so glad I picked up the P&Q magazine yesterday.

Not done much sewing over the last few days Keith saw the neurosurgeon who naturally wants tests and more tests done before making any decision. It looks like it's going to be at least two months before he gets an MRI scan and hopefully after that there may be a decision as to what can be done to help relieve the pain Keith's in.

I also managed to get on a day course with the Quilters Guild yesterday (good day all round) so on Tuesday I'm off to Cord and Stuff with Sylvia Crutchley. I met her today at the show and saw examples of corded and stuffed quilting so I'm really looking forward to Tuesday.

2 comments:

Rosalind said...

Fascinating to get the story behind that quilt. You could tell it was made by someone that was familiar with the scene it represented. I wonder how long he had been quilting?

Kate North said...

I saw this quilt last year at Sandown - it's great, isn't it! His piece this year at Sandown was an amazing Venetian street scene, double sided, really interesting in both subject and technique...