My last swap for a while with the Surface Design group is a box for Deb Cragan in Australia. I've decided to dramatically decrease the amount of swaps I do so I can have more time to play and experiment and hopefully do more design work.
First I created the fabric for the box by fmeing in various threads, including some thicker threads in the bobbin. The background was a piece of paper fabric which I'd made some time ago and liked the colours. This was covered with a sheer fabric before I began to sew. Once I was happy that there was enough thread play on the piece I took a heat gun to it to create more texture.
Next I digitised some 'inchies' using Bernina V5 software and sewed them out onto soluble fabric covered with iridescent film. I wanted the inchies to have a gleam of treasure. These are very simple to make and doesn't need digitising skills to create them. If anyone is interested I'll show you how I made them.
Once I'd sewn out a hoopful I separated them and washed out the sabiliser. I quite liked them when they were finished and I might make some more later. Not sure what I'll do with them but I did think they would make a bracelet or a cuff if beads were interspersed between the inchies.
I added some beaded beads I'd made earlier and some beads in toning values to the inchies and this was my treasure for Deb.