Thursday 20 October 2011

Jelly Roll Quilts

I saw this on You Tube and was amazed at the speed these ladies can create a quilt top.  I thought I'd have a go too.


I searched through my jelly rolls and decided to use one that seemed to have been hanging around for a while.  It's a variety of batiks but when I unrolled it I I wasn't too keen on several lengths.

Thirtyfive minutes it took the winner of the Jelly Roll Race to complete her top.  As for me - well it took me 3.5 hours just to piece all the lengths together and sew the first row.....   and another 2 hours to finish the quilt top!!  Guess no prizes there then.  I think the race must have started once all the strips were sewn together as it was this stage that took up most of my time. I also made lots of  mistakes at this stage.  First once was not to sew them together one after the other.  Instead I sewed them in pairs and then the pairs to each other.   I found I had to repeatedly check where my seams were lying and I spent a lot of time unpicking them because they were on the wrong side.   But eventually I finished it and here it is (sorry about the pegs the wind kept blowing it backwards).   I must say I quite like it. All I have to do now is figure out what to do next. It turned out bigger than I expected at 64" x 60" so I might add borders and put it on the bottom of our bed.





2 comments:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Lovely fabrics, ive got a jelly roll waiting for me to do a jelly roll race but i was surprised it would ony take 35 minutes!

Digitalgran said...

I have tried to comment before annette, but Blogger was playing up and I had to change my password yet again. Love your latest posts and I see you are now doing more quilting?