I saw this on You Tube and was amazed at the speed these ladies can create a quilt top. I thought I'd have a go too.
I searched through my jelly rolls and decided to use one that seemed to have been hanging around for a while. It's a variety of batiks but when I unrolled it I I wasn't too keen on several lengths.
Thirtyfive minutes it took the winner of the Jelly Roll Race to complete her top. As for me - well it took me 3.5 hours just to piece all the lengths together and sew the first row..... and another 2 hours to finish the quilt top!! Guess no prizes there then. I think the race must have started once all the strips were sewn together as it was this stage that took up most of my time. I also made lots of mistakes at this stage. First once was not to sew them together one after the other. Instead I sewed them in pairs and then the pairs to each other. I found I had to repeatedly check where my seams were lying and I spent a lot of time unpicking them because they were on the wrong side. But eventually I finished it and here it is (sorry about the pegs the wind kept blowing it backwards). I must say I quite like it. All I have to do now is figure out what to do next. It turned out bigger than I expected at 64" x 60" so I might add borders and put it on the bottom of our bed.