Friday 31 August 2012

Mystery over

Our mystery trip was not really exciting as we went to many of the places that we go on day trips.  We did however stop in a very nice hotel where the room service and food were excellent. The other people on the mystery trip were also very friendly so we actually rather enjoyed ourselves.  We went to Skipton, Matlock Bath, Bakewell where we enjoyed one of the famous bakewell puddings and ended up in the Lake District in the rain. 

Canal view of Skipton, in the rain of course.

The sun came out when we arrived in Bakewell for our bakewell pud.

Chatwell from the road.  The sun was still out and the place was teaming with people.  I've been round Chatwell before (in the rain) and its well worth a visit the grounds and gardens are lovely.

Nobody wanted a ride in the boats, except perhaps the gulls, wonder why?

We went to the National Quilt Show in Harrogate today.  There were some wonderful quilts, far too many to photgraph even if I could get close to them.   These two are by Heather Beattie, similar in style but the photos don't do justice to the quilting.




Gail Lawler was teaching and talking at the show this is one of her pieces from her Glimpses of England series which is in her new book.
Close up of part of the hanging.

I Bought Gail's books Glimpses of England and Glimpses of New Zealand, which were on special offer if you bought both.   I also bought these two books.

Alison Holt's Machine Embrodered Seascapes and June Barnes Exploring dimension in quilt art.  I've only had time to skim through each book but I know I'm really going to enjoy reading them and will get lots of hints on how to do things.

Big wedding next week, we've got a full rehersal tomorrow and the men are picking up their top hat and tails tomorrow and checking if there is any last minute alterations to be done.  I'm going to entertain my dil and my dil to be while the suits are being sorted.

2 comments:

Rosalind said...

How weird-----I saw someone on our Main Street and half wondered if it was you a couple of days ago! Were you in Cockermouth?
Envy your trip to Harrogate!
:o)

Lyndsey said...

I loved seeing your photos as they are of places we have visited often as a family and really enjoy. I would have liked to go to Harrogate but couldn't fit it in but did manage to get to the Festival of Quilts at the NEC.

Hope the wedding goes well.