Linda has provided a kit comprising handdyed rods and cocoons plus she'd painted a small artists stretcher to match the silk bits. The hole at the back of the stretcher was quite small, about 2.5" square so it was awkward to manouvere the needle. Because of this we sewed the bits onto a background that was attached through the hole then the majority of the background was cut back.
I pulled apart some of the rods and created fan shapes which I then embroidered onto a background. The cocoons were covered in sequins in different shapes. Sheers and netting was added to the background and the whole piece embroidered before it was sewn into place.
When I'd finished I found that the 'slip' had slipped and it wasn't square on the stretcher. I had a lace butterfly and painted it the same as the other pieces using Inktense pencils and water in one of those brushes that hold water. Once it was dry I added beads to match those near it.