Saturday 6 September 2008

Harrogate Quilts

No photos today as I have left my camera in the car and now its nice and warm in its little garage I don't want to disturb it (well that's my excuse). We've had a very busy couple of days, I don't seem to have stopped but can't for the life of me tell you what I've done. Thursday was my brother and sil's wedding anniversary and we went out for a meal with them, our anniversary was on Friday so we shared the celebration. As I'm an insulin dependant diabetic and my daily alcohol allowance is one unit I was the delegated driver, whoopee.

We took my Mum to the Quilt Show in Harrogate as she really enjoyed it last year but we only stayed a couple of hours. By that time Mum had enough and we'd had enough of Mum. At one point I left her with dh while I went to the loo and came back to find both missing. Keith's back was giving him problems and he told Mum he would sit down for a while. She said she'd be okay she would just "go over there" (she was in her wheelchair at the time). Keith thought she meant to look at the quilts but she quickly disappeared. Not being able to find her and his back getting worse he went off to the car to rest.

I finally found mum barging her way through a group of ladies completely oblivious of their shins and ankles. She was getting annoyed as she felt they should just part, like the red sea, and let her through. I rescued them and took her to eat and while she was busily chatting to two ladies at our table I tried to find out what had happened to Keith. He in the meantime had recovered and was looking for us. And so the day went on...........

I think the rain put a dampener on the day, the journey down was horrendous, as was the journey back. We also had a voice in the back of the car telling us how wet it was outside.

The hall was dry but crowded and it was difficult to get to the traders with a wheelchair in tow (I will not be taking her next year). Despite that though I did managed to pick up a few new books among which is Sheila Smith's new "Embellish, Stitch, Felt" book and June C Barns Stitching to Dye in Quilt Art book.

Best of all though Keith bought me a combined birthday and wedding anniversary (38 years) present - the new Babylock 12needle embellisher. I've had a play with it after a few false starts got the hang of the ribbon and yarn feeder. I want to make more felt backgrounds and it will become one of my favourite tools I'm sure.

No comments: